Stone in 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STONE, a parish and market town in the S. division of Pirehill hundred, county Stafford, 6 miles S. of Stoke-upon-Trent, and 7 N.E. of Stafford. It is a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a branch line goes to Norton-Bridge, where it joins the main line of the London and North-Western railway, 3 miles distant from the town of Eccleshall. The parish consists of 17,000 acres, and a population of nearly 10,000 souls, and contains the townships of Stone, Walton, Darlaston, Meaford-Oulton, Tittensor, Beech, Moddershall, Hilderstone, Fulford, Stallington, Normicott, Aston, Burstone and Stoke, and Little Aston. (There is more of this description).
An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Stoke-upon-Trent is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]