Places in Stone in 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ASTON, a township joined to the townships of Burston and Stoke, in the parish of Stone, hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 2 miles S. from Stone, 5 N. from Stafford, and 2½ from Sandon railway station. It lies on the south-west side of the river Trent and the Grand Trunk canal, and comprises the hamlet of Little Aston. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the Hon. E. S. Jervis. The church, dedicated to St. Saviour, is a neat stone structure, in the Gothic style, with a tower. The register dates from 1843. There is a National school, and a Roman Catholic school, founded by the Rev. Father Louis, in 1852, for the education of 40 boys and girls. The brotherhood who have established themselves at Aston Hall, formerly the seat of Viscount St. Vincent, have filled up the old moat, and laid it out in pleasure walks. They have also erected a church and other buildings of stone, enclosing the mausoleum of Sir James Simeon, through whom they derive their tenure."
"BEECH, a township in the parishes of Stone and Swinnerton, hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 4 miles from Stone."
"DARLASTON, a township in the parish of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 3 miles N.W. of Stone. It is mentioned in Saxon history as the place where Wulfhere, King of Mercia, had his palace, the ruins of which still exist at Burybank, fortified with a double vallum and intrenchments about 250 yards in diameter. Near to it is a barrow. It is situated on the river Trent."
"KIBBLESTONE, a township and liberty in the parish of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, county Stafford. This was anciently a large park, containing several spacious fish-ponds, one of which supplies a stream that falls into the Trent at Walton-Bridge, turning in its course several mills for grinding flints used at the potteries. At Meaford, in this township, is the old mansion in which Earl St. Vincent was born. There is a petrifying spring."
"NORMACOT, a liberty in the parish of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, county Stafford, 1 mile S.E. of Lane-End, and adjoining Longton, its post town, on the S.E. Here are the waterworks belonging to the Duke of Sutherland, the source of which is one of the clearest streams in the kingdom. Earthenware and china are manufactured in the district. It forms a constablewick in the Hilderstone quarter of the parish, and includes Meir-Lane, Meir-Furnace, Meir-Heath, and many scattered houses. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £80. The church, dedicated to the Four Evangelists, is a stone edifice with a turret containing one bell. It was erected at the expense of the Duke of Sutherland in 1847. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans and New Connexion Methodists have each a place of worship. The Duke of Sunderland is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"OULTON, a village in the parish of Stone and liberty of Kibblestone, county Stafford, 1 mile N.E. of Stone. It contains the Oulton Retreat lunatic asylum."
"STALLINGTON, a liberty in the parish of Stone, county Stafford.
"TITTENSOR, a liberty in the parish of Stone, county Stafford, 4 miles N.W. of Stone, on the river Trent, near the Grand Trunk canal."
"WALTON, a liberty in the parish of Stone, county Stafford, half a mile S. of Stone, on the river Trent."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]