"Swynnerton, or Swinnerton, is a small neat village, in an elevated and healthy situation, four miles NW by W of Stone, giving name to a parish extending upwards of six miles in length from north to south, but only from one to two miles in breadth, and containing 961 inhabitants, and 4825 acres of land. Swynnerton Hall, a handsome stone mansion, stands near the church, on a gentle eminence, and is the seat of Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq, owner of about 3000 acres of fertile land, and lord of the manor, which was held by Roger de Swynnerton in the reign of Edward I. In the reign of of Henry VIII, the daughter of Humphrey Swynnerton carried it in marriage to the Fitzherberts. Sir Anthony Fitzherbert, the celebrated judge and author, was of this family, which has been seated here since the 16th century.
The hamlets of this parish, with their distance and bearings from Swynnerton, are as follows:
Acton, Shutlane Head and Milstone Green, from five to six miles NNW.
Beech, on a lofty eminence, partly in Stone parish, two miles N.
Hatton, two miles NW.
Shelton-under-Airley, and Stableford Bridge, three and a half miles NW.
Yarnfield, two and a half miles S by E."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]




'An Account of the Family of Swynnerton, of Swynnerton and Elsewhere in the County of Stafford'
by Hon George Thomas Orlando Bridgeman
Published 1886, by Harrison & Sons, London.




The St Mary's Church site includes Monumental Inscriptions in the churchyard and plans showing the positions of the graves.




The population of Swynnerton parish was as follows:
1801 -- 648
1831 -- 791
1841 -- 961




Church History

"The Parish Church, St Mary, is an interesting structure of the 11th century, and was repaired and enlarged in 1844. In the Fitzherbert Chapel, adjoining the chancel, is a colossal statue, about eight feet high, of Christ suffering as a mock king.
The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Christopher Dodsley.

Near the mansion is a handsome Catholic Chapel, in the Gothic style, built by the present Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq, with a neat house for the chaplain. The chapel has an elaborately rich roof, and a handsome tribune for the family.

At Yarnfield is a small chapel of ease, and a small Roman Catholic Chapel, built in 1836."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]



Church Records

Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1986 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1675-1868 (with gaps 1679-1685 & 1810-1812) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1558-1812, and 1813-1837 has been published in two parts by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.


Description & Travel

A transcription of the section on Swynnerton from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)

Conservation Area Appraisals for Swynnerton  - interesting accounts of the area, with excellent historical detail, numerous photographs and map



The transcription of the section for Swynnerton from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)

The transcription of the section for Swynnerton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

The transcription of the section for Swynnerton from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Swynnerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ844380 (Lat/Lon: 52.939552, -2.232885), Swynnerton which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law

Swynnerton parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.




A transcription of the Hearth Tax Returns 1666 for Swynnerton