Tatenhill in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TATENHILL, a parish in the N. division of Offlow hundred, county Stafford, 3½ miles S.W of Burton-upon-Trent, its post town, and 11 N.E. of Lichfield. The village has much increased, of late years. The parish contains the hamlets of Dunstall, Barton-under-Needwood, Wichnor, and Callingwood. The soil is heavy, but fertile. Gypsum is found here in large quantities. The Trent and Mersey canal passes at a short distance from the village.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is old. In addition to the parish church are the district churches of Barton-under-Needwood, Dunstall, and Wichnor, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, varying in value from £135 to £71. The parochial charities produce about £90 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels."
"DUNSTALL, a township and district parish in the parish of Tatenhill, N. division of the hundred of Offlow, in the county of Stafford, 4 miles S.W. of Burton-on-Trent, its post town, and 2 N.W. of the Burton station. It is situated near the Grand Trunk canal.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £120, in the patronage of John Hardy, Esq. The church was erected and endowed by the late Charles Arkwright, Esq. Here is a school for both sexes. The chief seat is Dunstall Lodge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]