Tatenhill in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
TATENHILL, a township and a parish in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The township lies 3 miles SW of Burton railway station, and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £4,739. Pop., 519. Houses, 102. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 9,408 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,329; in 1861, 2,500. Houses, 542. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ferrerses; and passed to John of Gaunt, the Somervilles, the Griffyths, and others.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, and is annexed to the deanery. Value, not reported. The church is old but good. The perpetual curacies of Barton-under-Needwood, Dunstall, and Wichnor are separate benefices. Charities, £103.
An 1872 Gazetteer description of the following place in Tatenhill is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]