Tipton St Paul
"St Paul's Church, in Owen Street, Tipton Green, is a large brick structure, with a tower and one bell, and was built in 1838-9. It has no burial ground, but under it are vaults, not yet used for sepulchral purposes.
The benefit is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of Tipton, and incumbency of the Rev EHA Gwynne, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
St Paul's ecclesiastical parish was formed on 22nd December, 1843. The church is an edifice of red brick, in the Early English style, designed by Robert Ebbles, and consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing one bell. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Vicar of Tipton.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Paul, Tipton, commences in 1839. The original registers for the period 1839-1912 (Bapts) & 1853-1899 (Mar), and Banns for the period 1915-1930 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Tipton can be found on the Tipton page.
The transcription of the section for Tipton St Paul from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tipton St Paul to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tipton St Paul has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO955923 (Lat/Lon: 52.528551, -2.067762), Tipton St Paul which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)