"Tutbury, celebrated for its ruined castle, once the seat of the Mercian kings, and afterwards the Earls and Dukes of Lancaster, was anciently a market town, and is still a large and respectable village, pleasantly seated on the south bank of the River Dove, which separates it from Derbyshire, five miles NW of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a large station on the North Staffordshire Railway, which here separates in two branches to Derby and Burton. The village has a large cotton mill, on the Dove, erected in 1781, and glass works, commenced 1836, and having steam power for glass cutting, etc.
Tutbury parish comprises 4000 acres of land, including 777 acres in the Tutbury Ward of Needwood Forest, and 1798 souls. The Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, is lady of the manor, and owns about 2000 acres of the soil, let to several lessees. The rest of the parish belongs to Sir Oswald Mosley, Captain Townshend, and several other freeholders and copyholders, owing suit and service to the court of the Honour of Tutbury."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]




'Historical Description of the Castle & Priory of Tutbury..'
by John Jackson
Published 1796, London.

'History of the Castle, Priory & Town of Tutbury'
by Sir Oswald Moseley
Published 1832, by Simpkin & Marshall, London.

'The Natural History of Tutbury'
by Sir Oswald Moseley
Published 1863, London.

'History of Tutbury & Rolleston'
by Charles Haywood Underhill
Published 1949, by Tresises, Burton-upon-Trent.

'An Historical Description of Tutbury Castle & Priory,
with some account of the Town & Neighbourhood'

by Anon
Published 1843, H Wayte, Tutbury.

'Guide to Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire'
by Robert Somerville
Published 1960, by Duchy of Lancaster, London.

'Medieval Tutbury, A History of the Monastery, Church & Castle'
by Norman Edwards, Vicar of Pensnett
Published 1949, by AC Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.

'The Story of the Priory Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tutbury, Staffordshire'
by Norman Edwards, Vicar of Pensnett
Published 1939, by British Publishing Co, Gloucester.




The population of Tutbury parish was as follows:
1801 -- 844
1831 -- 1553
1841 -- 1835
1851 -- 1798





Church History

"Tutbury Church, St Mary, is a large edifice, with an embattled tower, standing on a declivity near the castle, and finely decorated with beautiful specimens of Saxon architecture. It formed part of the old priory church, founded in 1080.
The vicarage is in the patronage of the vicar of Bakewell, and incumbency of the Rev Henry Peach, MA.

In the village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1799, and repaired in 1844, when a new gallery was added. The Wesleyan Chapel here was rebuilt in 1838, and here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1831."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]



Church Records

Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1668. The original registers for the period 1668-1916 (Bapts), 1668-1876 (Mar), & 1668-1906 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1838 (with gaps 1711-14, 1809-12 & 1836) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.

Nonconformist Registers
The original registers of Back Street (Monk Street), Tutbury, Independent Chapel for the period 1801-1837 (Births & Bapts), are deposited at the Public Record Office.



Description and Travel

The Tutbury Website pages include history and photographs of the area.

A transcription of the section on Tutbury from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)

Conservation Area Appraisals for Tutbury  - interesting accounts of the areas, with excellent historical detail, numerous photographs and maps

You can see pictures of Tutbury which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for Tutbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tutbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The transcription of the section for the history of Tutbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Jean Birrell's unpublished MA Thesis entitled "The Honour of Tutbury in the 14th and 15th Centuries" examines in great detail the economy and administration of the estates during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.


Land and Property

Paul Jones has produced an 1841 Index of Tithable Lands in Tutbury sorted by Occupier.




You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK211289 (Lat/Lon: 52.857182, -1.688078), Tutbury which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

Tutbury parish became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.