Walsall Schools in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
WALSALL The free grammar school, in Park-street, was established in 1557, by Queen Mary, who endowed it with land belonging to the guilds and chantries which existed here previously to the Dissolution, and placed it under the controul of certain governors, whom she incorporated; the income is about £780 per annum, and the premises, built a few years since, are handsome and commodious. Bishop Hough received the rudiments of his education in the establishment.
An English school is maintained from the same funds, in the old school buildings in the churchyard. The Blue-coat charity school, which was endowed with £14 a year, has been incorporated with a national school: a national school attached to St. Peter's Church, erected at a cost of £600, was opened in 1840; arid there is another at Walsall-Wood, partly supported by an annual grant of £35 from the governors of the grammar school.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]