Walsall St Mark
St Mark's church, Butts Road, was erected in 1871, and was a structure in brick, in the Gothic style.
St Mark's church, in Butts Road, built to the design of Robert Griffiths of Stafford in 1871 was a building of red brick, with blue brick dressings, in the Gothic style, consisting of a sanctuary, nave and north organ chamber. A west vestry was added in 1949.
The church was originally built as a chapelry to St Michael, Rushall. The parish of St Mark, Walsall was formed in 1925 from parts of Saints George, Paul & Peter, Walsall, and St Michael, Rushall.
The living was a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield.
The parish was abolished in 1973 and the church was subsequently demolished.
Church of England Registers
The registers of St Mark, Butts Road, Walsall commence in 1898. The original registers for the period 1898-1973 (Bapts) & 1926-1971 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A microfilm copy of some of the registers is held at Walsall Local History Centre.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Walsall can be found on the Walsall page.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walsall St Mark to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walsall St Mark has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP014987 (Lat/Lon: 52.586104, -1.980769), Walsall St Mark which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)