Wednesbury in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WEDNESBURY, a parish, manufacturing and market town in the hundred of South Offlow, county Stafford, 8 miles N.W. of Birmingham, 5 S.E. of Wolverhampton, and 118 N.W. of London, or 136½ by Great Western railway, and situated on the London and Holyhead high road, near the source of the Tame. It is a place of great antiquity, and was originally called Wodensburg, after the god Woden. (There is more of this description).
An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Wednesbury is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]