Hide

Wednesfield in 1859

hide
Hide
Hide

Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859

WEDNESFIELD, a township, in the parish and union of WOLVERHAMPTON, S. division of the hundred of OFFLOW and of the county of STAFFORD, 2 miles 
(N.E. by E.) from Wolverhampton; containing 3168 inhabitants. Edward the Elder, in 911, here defeated the Danes, when two of their kings, two earls, and nine other chiefs, were slain; and there were formerly two barrows on the supposed site of the battle, one of which has been levelled.

The township comprises 3326a.3r.1p. Coal and iron-stone are plentiful, and three or four mines are at present in operation: locks and key's, and other articles in iron, among which are chain-cables, are manufactured here, the latter branch recently established. The Essington and Wyrley canal, and the Grand Junction railway, run through the township, the Wolverhampton station of the latter being within its limits, and a hotel has lately been built by John Gough, Esq.  A pleasure-fair is held on the Monday nearest to the 25th of June.

There is a living, which is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Mr. Gough, with a net income of £136: the tithes have been commuted for £1011.16.6., payable to the Duke of Cleveland. The chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas, is a plain brick building, erected in 1750, and enlarged in 1843, to accommodate 885 persons, at the cost of the patron and parishioners, assisted by grants from the Diocesan and Incorporated Societies. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Lady Huntingdon's Connexion. 

 

[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]