Hide

Wednesfield in 1868

hide
Hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"WEDNESFIELD, a township in the parish of Wolverhampton, S. division of Offlow hundred, county Stafford, 2 miles N.E. of Wolverhampton, its post town. At Wednesfield Heath is a station on the South Staffordshire railway. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of locks and keys, chain-cables, and other articles of iron. In this township were formerly two barrows, on the supposed site of the field where Edward the Elder beat the Danes in 911, one of which has been levelled. The population in 1861 was 8,553, and the ecclesiastical district of Wednesfield Heath 5,049.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £280, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, was built in 1750, and recently enlarged; there is also a new church at Wednesfield Heath. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes. The Independents, New Connexion Methodists, and Wesleyans have chapels. The inhabitants have the right of voting for the borough of Wolverhampton."

 

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]