Hide

Wednesfield in 1872

hide
Hide
Hide

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2

WEDNESFIELD, a township and two chapelries in Wolverhampton parish, Stafford. The township lies on the Wyrley canal, near the South Staffordshire railway, 2 miles NE of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton, and a railway station. Real property, £16,486; of which £852 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4,858; in 1861, 8,553. Houses, 1,708. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the erection of houses for the accommodation of coal-miners. The property is not much divided. Perry Hall is a chief residence.

The manufacture of locks, keys, and traps is very largely carried on. Edward the Elder beat the Danes here in 910. The chapelries are Wednesfield and Wednesfield-Heath; and are jointly conterminate with the township. The living of Wednesfield is a vicarage, and that of Wednesfield-Heath is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of Wednesfield, £280; of Wednesfield-Heath, £120. Patron of Wednesfield, the Bishop of Lichfield; of Wednesfield-Heath, H. Rogers, Esq. Wednesfield church was built in 1760, and recently enlarged. Wednesfield-Heath church was built in 1853. There are three dissenting chapels, several public schools, and charities £20. 

[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]