"Weston-upon-Trent is a large and well built village, pleasantly seated on the north-east bank of the Trent, opposite to Ingestre Park, four and a half miles NE of Stafford, on the Stone and Lichfield road. It has a commodious wharf on the Trent & Mersey Canal, and a station on the Stone & Colwich branch of the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish has long been celebrated for its salt-works, and contains 526 inhabitants, and 749 acres of fertile land, most of which belongs to Earl Ferrers, the lord of the manor, and the remainder to Earl Talbot and William Moore, Esq.
Shirleywich, a small village, one mile SE of Weston, is so called from the family name of Earl Ferrers, and from its extensive salt-works, which were established upwards of two centuries ago, and were long carried on by William Moore, Esq, of Wychdon Lodge, but are now in the occupation of James Sutton & Co, the noted carriers, who manufacture about 100 tons of salt weekly, from a strong brine which is raised from an inexhaustible saline spring into a large reservoir, from which the boiling pans are supplied.
In 1820, a prolific brine spring was discovered on Earl Talbot's estate, at Ingestre, on the opposite side of the Trent, where the Earl erected in the following year the extensive Weston Salt Works, now occupied by Poole & Co, who make about 250 tons of salt weekly. The saline water is forced in pipes across the river and canal to the large reservoir attached to these works. In 1842 another salt spring was found at Shirleywich, on Earl Ferrer's estate, which is said to possess great medicinal virtues."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Weston-upon-Trent parish was as follows:
1801 -- 306
1831 -- 508
1841 -- 526
"Weston-upon-Trent Church, St Andrew, is a handsome structure, in the early English style of the 13th century, but has undergone considerable alterations. The north aisle was taken down in 1685, and was not rebuilt until 1825, when the chancel was also rebuilt. The spire was rebuilt in 1829, and various restorations made in the interior of the church. The tower, the arches of the nave, and the east window, retain their original character.
The vicarage is in the alternate patronage of JN Lane, Esq, and the Rev C Inge, and incumbency of the Rev Samuel Platt, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Andrew commences in 1583. The original registers for the period 1583-1969 (Bapts), 1583-1985 (Mar) & 1583-1899 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1666-1862 (with gaps 1741-1744, 1758-1762 & 1839) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Weston-upon-Trent from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The transcription of the section for Weston-upon-Trent from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Weston-upon-Trent from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Weston-upon-Trent from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weston-upon-Trent to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Weston-upon-Trent has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ976271 (Lat/Lon: 52.841405, -2.037073), Weston-upon-Trent which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Weston-upon-Trent parish became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
A transcription of the Hearth Tax Returns 1666 for Weston upon Trent Constablewick