The first recorded reference to a church at Willenhall is in a 1313 deed which mentions a chaplain of Willenhall. The mediaeval church at Willenhall was believed to be a half-timbered structure which survived until the mid 18th century when it became decayed and dilapidated. The last sevice in this building was on 10th April 1748 and the people of the town were without a church until the new building was opened in 1750. This building was an ugly square structure of red brick with a small apsidal chancel at the east end. The ancient tower, built around the time of the Reformation, was retained, and a further storey added in 1788 to house a peal of eight bells cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester.
The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is now a building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, west porch, and a lofty 100 feet high western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and eight bells.
The stained east window was placed in 1867 by Ralph Dickenson Gough (died 9th Nov 1881) to whom a memorial window was erected in 1886, and there are several other memorial windows, some of which display the arms of the Sutherland, Gifford, Lichfield and Lane families. A choir aisle was erected in 1895 as a memorial to the Rev GH Fisher, MA, vicar here from 1834-1894, and at the same time the church was enlarged by the addition of a south transept. In 1911 the interior was renovated, and oak choir stalls provided. The church was again renovated in 1927, with the addition of a vestry and side chapel, a new high altar of the English pattern, and an oak carved pulpit.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield and five lay trustees.
A mission church of St Giles, dedicated to St Matthias, was erected at Shepwell Green in 1907.
St Giles was a chapel of ease to Wolverhampton St Peter until 1848 when it became a parish in its own right. No burials took place at Willenhall until 1727 when the church and churchyard were consecrated for burials. Before that time burials of Willenhall inhabitants took place at Wolverhampton St Peter. Willenhall marriages also took place at St Peter until 1841.
Postcard of St Giles Church c 1920
Postcard of the Chancel, St Giles Church c 1938
Oil painting of St Giles Church c 1962
Oil painting of St Giles Church pre 1867
Photograph of St Giles Church (1) May 2003
Photograph of St Giles Church (2) May 2003