Wolverhampton St George
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev GB Clare, BA, who is assisted by the Revs PS Desprez and R Blincoe, curates."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The monumental inscriptions of the church of St George, Wolverhampton, have been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The ecclesiastical parish of St George was formed on 9th September 1834.
Many victims of the 1849 cholera epidemic were buried in unmarked mass graves in the churchyard.
St George's church was closed in 1978 but the building has been preserved and incorporated into the Sainsbury's supermarket built on the site which opened in January 1988.
Church of England Registers
The register of St George, Wolverhampton, commences in 1832.
The original registers for the period 1834-1977 (Bapts), 1834-1976 (Mar) & 1832-1833 & 1849-1949 (Bur), are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
No Bishops Transcripts are recorded at Lichfield Record Office.
Wolverhampton Archives have placed on line indexes of the Wolverhampton St George registers covering Baptisms 1834-1875, Marriages 1834-1875 & Burials 1832-1880
Note : They are included in the "Wolverhampton & District Parish Registers" Index
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Wolverhampton can be found on the Wolverhampton page.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wolverhampton St George to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wolverhampton St George has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO914985 (Lat/Lon: 52.584238, -2.12836), Wolverhampton St George which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)