Wombourne in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
WOMBOURNE, a liberty, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The liberty lies on the Stafford and Worcester railway, 4 miles WSW of Deepfield railway station, and 4 SW by S of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton. The parish includes Orton and Swindon liberties, and comprises 4,680 acres. Real property, £10,137; of which £300 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 2,007; in 1861, 2,236. Houses, 452.
The living is a vicarage, united with Trysull, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £608. Patrons, Trustees. The vicarage of Swindon is a separate benefice. There are three dissenting chapels, and charities £5. The sub-district contains 4 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 12,961. Pop., 4,991. Houses, 1,010.
An 1872 Gazetteer description of the following places in Wombourne is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]