"ATHERSTONE, a market town and formerly a chapelry in the parish of Mancetter, but now a district parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick, 23 miles to the N. of Warwick, and 102 miles from London by the Trent Valley branch of the London and North Western railway, on which it is a station. It is situated in a pleasant and highly cultivated country, near the western bank of the river Anker, close to the borders of Leicestershire. The Roman road, Watling Street, passes through this place, and a little to the west is the Coventry and Fazeley canal."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Coach and Horses Yard, Off Long Street, Atherstone, Congregationalist|
|Coleshill Street/South Street, Atherstone, Congregationalist|
|North Street, Atherstone, Congregationalist|
|Sheepy Road, Atherstone, Cemetery|
|Off Long Street, Atherstone, Unitarian|
|St Benedict, Atherstone, Roman Catholic|
- The transcription of the section for Atherstone from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Atherstone to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Atherstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP311978 (Lat/Lon: 52.57708, -1.543236), Atherstone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)