"BIRDINGBURY, (or Birbury), a parish in the Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 4 miles to the N.E. of Southam. Rugby is its post town. It is a station on the Leamington and Rugby branch of the London and North-Western railway, and is situated on the bank of the river Leame. This place was one of the possessions of the abbey at Coventry, founded by Earl Leofric. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value £120, in the patronage of Sir T. Biddulph, Bart., who is also lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. Birdingbury Hall is the seat of the Biddulphs, who take their name from the village of Biddulph, in Staffordshire, and who have held that manor since the Conquest.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]