"CHERINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, about 4 miles S.E. of Shipston-on-Stour, its pest town, and 8 from Chipping-Norton. It is situated near the river Stour and the Great Western railway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value £259, in the patronage of Daniel Turner, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone edifice with a tower, in the mixed style of architecture. Cherington House, the seat of William Dickins, Esq., the magistrate of the Warwickshire quarter sessions is a fire stone building."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]