Clifton upon Dunsmore
"CLIFTON-UPON-DUNSMORE, a parish in the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 2 miles E. of Rugby, its post town and railway station. It is situated on an eminence S. of the river Avon, close to the Oxford canal. The Rugby and Stamford railway passes through the parish. It includes the township of Newton cum-Biggin and the chapelry of Brownsover. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value with the curacy of Brownsover annexed, £119, in the patronage of the Earl of Bradford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure in the early English style, with an embattled tower. The register commences in 1540. The charities produce about £50 per annum. This was the birthplace of Carte, the historian, who died here in 1754. The Atherstone hounds meet here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Clifton upon Dunsmore from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clifton upon Dunsmore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clifton upon Dunsmore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP530764 (Lat/Lon: 52.382987, -1.222057), Clifton upon Dunsmore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)