"DUNCHURCH, a parish in the Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 4 miles S. of Rugby. It is situated on high ground near Dunsmoor, commanding an extensive view. It contains the hamlets of Cawston, Thurlaston, and Toft. Nearly the whole of the parish is in the possession of the Duke of Buccleuch. It is a polling-place for the county, and a meet for the North Warwickshire hounds. The village contains some good houses and several inns. At its northern end is an obelisk, where formerly stood a stone cross."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]