"FOLESHILL, a parish in the liberty of the city of Coventry, county Warwick, 2½ miles N.E. of Coventry, and 97 from London. It is a station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the London and North-Western railway. Previous to the dissolution of religious houses the Prior of Coventry was lord of the manor. A large portion of the lands were the patrimony of the Lady Godiva. The village, which forms an extensive suburb of Coventry, extends along the Leicester road. Silk and ribbon weaving is extensively carried on, also the manufacture of fringes, while a large number of the inhabitants are employed in the coal-pits, iron foundries, and brickfields."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|St Laurence, Foleshill, Church of England|
|St Paul, Foleshill, Church of England|
|St Thomas the Apostle, Foleshill, Church of England|
|Broad Street, Foleshill, Baptist|
|Old Church Road, Foleshill, United Reformed Church|
|Windmill Road, Foleshill, Cemetery|
- The transcription of the section for Foleshill from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foleshill to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Foleshill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP345819 (Lat/Lon: 52.43388, -1.493969), Foleshill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)