"KENILWORTH, a parish and small town in the Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 4 miles N. of Warwick, and 101 N.N.W. of London. It is a station on the London and North-Western branch line of railway. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated in a champaign country between Coventry and Warwick, and contains the hamlet of Redfern. It was anciently called Kenelworda, and was part of Stoneleigh prior to the Norman Conquest. After that event it was given by Henry I. to Geoffrey de Clinton, who founded an Austin priory for canons regular, which had a revenue at the Dissolution of £643 14s. 9d."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|St Barnabas, Kenilworth, Church of England|
|St John the Evangelist, Kenilworth, Church of England|
|St Nicholas, Kenilworth, Church of England|
|Abbey Hill, Kenilworth, Congregationalist|
|Oaks Road, Kenilworth, Cemetery|
|Rosemary Hill, Kenilworth, Unitarian|
- The transcription of the section for Kenilworth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kenilworth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kenilworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP290719 (Lat/Lon: 52.343992, -1.576452), Kenilworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)