, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 6 miles S.W. of Rugby, 4 N.E. of Southam, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Budingbury station on the Rugby and Leamington branch of the London and North-Western railway. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the W. bank of the river Leam, which, rising near Nethercote, takes a circuitous course of 24 miles to the W., past Maston and Leamington Priors, and joins the river Avon near Warwick.
The parish includes the hamlets of Broadwell Hill, and Kytes Hardwick. It was held by the Hastings family for several centuries, and came through the Trevors to Sir T. Wheler, Bart., of Leamington-Hastings House. The parish is within the jurisdiction of the Rugby county court. The Warwick and Napton canal passes to the S. of the parish. The soil is fertile on a substratum of blue lias. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £695. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing five bells. There was anciently a chapel-of-ease at Bradwell in this parish. The parochial charities produce about £293 per annum, of which £168 go to Davis's almshouses, £25 to Lady Wheler's, and £30 to the National school. The Rev. H. W. Sitwell is lord of the manor."
"BROAD WELL, a hamlet in the parish of Leamington Hastings, hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 3 miles to the N. E. of Southam."
"HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Leamington Hastings, county Warwick, 2 miles N. of Leamington. It is situated on the river Avon."
"KYTES HARDWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Leamington Hastings, county Warwick, 5 miles S.W. of Rugby."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]