"MERIDEN, a parish in the Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 5½ miles from Coventry, its post town, and 2½ from the Hampton Junction of the North-Western and Derby railways. The parish, which is small, is situated in a valley on the old road from London to Holyhead, and near Meriden Cross, which formerly marked the centre of England. The village of Meriden of late years has greatly improved, and contains many neatly built residences. The land is fertile and in a state of good cultivation. On Meriden Hill is an extensive quarry of red sandstone, and there is also a quarry of white freestone for building."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]