Stretton on the Foss
"STRETTON-ON-THE-FOSS, a parish in the Brailes division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, also containing some places in the county of Gloucestershire, 4 miles from Moreton, its post town, and 3 W. of Shipston. The parish includes the hamlets of Longford and Lower Ditchford, which latter had once a friary. There is a salt spring in the neighbourhood, The surface is hilly, and the soil chiefly a stiff clay. The living is a rectory* with that of Ditchford annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1841. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. There are day and Sunday schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Stretton on the Foss from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stretton on the Foss to another place.
- "STRETTON on the FOSS, a parish forming a detached portion of the Brails division of the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick... The living is a rectory, with that of Ditchford, annexed to the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Worcester".
(Ref: A Topological Dictionary of England; Samuel Lewis, 1831)
You can see the administrative areas in which Stretton on the Foss has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP223384 (Lat/Lon: 52.043675, -1.676617), Stretton on the Foss which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)