"TAMWORTH, a parish, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough in the S. division of the hundred of Offlow, county Stafford, and partly in Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 23 miles S.E. of Stafford, and 6 from Lichfield. It is a junction station of the Trent Valley and the Derby and Birmingham sections of the Midland railways. The parish, which is very extensive, includes, besides the town of Tamworth, the chapelries of Fazeley, Wigginton, and Wilnecote, with part of Dosthill, now district parishes, the townships of Almington-with-Stone, Delph, Biddescote, Bolehall-with-Glascote, Bonehill, and the liberties of Tyerscote and Tamworth-Castle, besides the extra-parochial liberty of Hopwas Hayes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]