Welford on Avon
"WELFORD, (or Welford on Avon), a parish partly in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, but chiefly in the upper division of Deerhurst hundred, county Gloucester, 4 miles S.W. of Stratford-on-Avon. It is situated on the river Avon, and contains the hamlets of Bickmarsh and Little Dorsington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £450. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Earl Amherst is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Welford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welford on Avon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Welford on Avon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP149519 (Lat/Lon: 52.164877, -1.783133), Welford on Avon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)