WELLESBOURNE-HASTINGS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
It is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £425, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was built by Henry de Newburgh, Earl of Warwick, and contains a brass of Sir Thomas le Strange, lord-lieutenant of Ireland in the reign of Henry VI. There is a free school, founded in 1723 by Rev. Richard Boyse, with an endowment of £100 per annum.
"WALTON DETVILLE, an ecclesiastical district, formerly a hamlet in the parish of Wellesbourne Hastings, Warwick division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, 8 miles from Warwick, 5 from Stratford-on-Avon, and 3½ N.W. of Kington. The village is situated on a branch of the river Avon. Walton has belonged to the ancestors of Sir C. Mordaunt from Henry VIII.'s time. The Warwickshire hounds meet here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £156. The church, dedicated to St. James, was restored and endowed by the late Sir C. Mordaunt, Bart., of Walton House, which was restored by Hakewell. There is a day school for both sexes."
"WELLESBOURNE-MOUNTFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Wellesbourne-Hastings, county Warwick, 5 miles N.W. of Kington."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]