"WOLSTON, a parish and township partly in the Kirby, but chiefly in the Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, county Warwick, 5½ miles S.E. of Coventry, 6 W. of Rugby, and 1 mile from the Brandon station of the London and North-Western railway, which here crosses the valley of the Avon. The village is situated on the S. bank of the river Avon. The parish includes the hamlets of Brandon, where are some silk mills, Bretford, and Marston, and a farm called the Priory, formerly an alien cell to St.Peters-super-Dinan, in Normandy, but given to Coventry Priory by Richard II."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Wolston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wolston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wolston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP413755 (Lat/Lon: 52.376333, -1.395006), Wolston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)