"Askham seems to have been so called from some proprietor thereof in ancient time of the name Aske; for such a name there was. The parish of Askham is bounded on the East by the parishes of Lowther and Bampton, on the South by the parish of Bampton, on the West by the parish of Barton, and on the North by the parishes of Barton and Lowther; and consists of about 81 families, all of the church of England, except only one or two. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, perhaps in allusion to the rock on which it is founded. It is a vicarage. "
[Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols.]
The parish of Askham includes the manors of Askham and Helton Flecket.
Returns survive in the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There is a trancsription on EdenLinks for Askham and Helton Flecket.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
A transcript of the 1841 census of Askham [HO107/1162] is provided by Virginia Gretton.
It includes the following names:
AIREY, ATKINSON, BAILEY, BAILIFF, BARKER, BATEMAN, BAWLY, BELL, BLAIKLOCK, BOAG, BORROWDALE, BOWERBANK, BOWMAN, BROWN, CAPSTICKS, CARRUTHERS, CASTLEHOW, CARTER, CLARK, COWARD, COWIN, CRANE, DOBSON, DOCKREY, DONALD, EGGLESTON, EWBANK, FLEMING, FOREST, GRAVES, HALFPENY, HALL, HARDING, HARRISON, HAYTON, HENDERSON, HOBSON, HOGG, HOWE, JACKSON, JOHNSON, KIDD, KIRKBRIDE, KIRKPATRICK, KITCHEN, LANCASTER, LEECH, LOCKHART, LUMB, McCRONE, MANDALE, MATHINSON, MATTINSON, MILLER, MOFFAT, MOSS, MOUNSEY, MURTHWART, NICHOLSON, NIXON, NOBLE, OADE, PARNELL, PEARSON, RELPH, RICHARDSON, RIDDLEY, RIGG, ROACHFORD, ROBINSON, ROUTLEDGE, SALKELD, SANDERSON, SCOTT, SISSON, SLEE, SPEDDING, SPENCER, STEELY, THOMPSON, TINKLER, TODD, WAKEFIELD, WALTON, WARD, WATT, WHARTON, WHITE, WILSON, WINDER, WINTER, WOOF, YARKER.
A transcript of the 1841 census of Helton [HO107/1162] is provided by Virginia Gretton.
It includes the following names:
ADDINSON, AIREY, BIRD, BOAGE, BRANTHWAITE, BROWN, BURN, CHERRY, CLARK, DALTON, DENT, DONALD, DUFTON, ELERAY, EWBANK, FARRER, HARRISON, HAYTON, HINDSON, HODGSON, JACKSON, JOHNSON, KIRKBRIDE, MOFFAT, MOUNSEY, NICHOLSON, NOBLE, PEARSON, RELPH, RICHARDSON, ROBERTSON, SCOTT, SHARP, SILL, STRONG, TINKLER, WALKER, WATSON, WHARTON, WILSON, WINDER.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
Rebuilt 1832 by Robert Smirke.
Neo-Norman. C17th font. Memorial tablets to Sandford family.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Church plans (1832-33) from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR11 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
Transcripts of the registers 1566-1812 are available on EdenLinks
and as a facsimile of the printed version on OpenLibrary
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Askham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Askham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
In Domesday Book - Ascam.
British History Online provides historical notes for Askham from The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932)
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Askham
A History of the Sandfords of Askham has been made available by C R Grant.
Also A HISTORY OF THE FAMILY OF SANDFORD web published book: A history of the family of Sandford of Sandford, Askman, Howgill, and Helton in the county of Westmoreland from the year 1174 to the present (circa 1920) by William Arthur Cecil Sandford.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY489220 (Lat/Lon: 54.590705, -2.79219), Askham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Askham is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Askham transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Helton (Askham) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Askham transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Hackthorpe & Whale transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Helton Flicket transcribed on Edenlinks.