"CASTERTON, a township in-the parish of KIRKBYLONSDALE, LONSDALE ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 2 miles (N.E.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale, containing 277 inhabitants. It is supposed to have received its name from an ancient castle, every vestige of which has been removed, A chapel formerly stood at Chapel-head close, near which is a well, called St. Coume's, probably a contraction of St. Columbe, the tutelar saint of the chapel.."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Casterton is a parish in Lonsdale Ward in the South East of the county adjoining Lancashire.
Before 1833 it was in Kirkby Lonsdale parish. Nearby parishes are Mansergh and Barbon.
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
School chapel 1831-3. Chancel added c1860.Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
History and description on Wikipedia.
Church plans from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR72 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Casterton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Casterton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Name derived from Latin castra and O.E. ceaster - a camp. Records relating to the Barony of Kendale, CWAAS, W Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) available on British History Online (also Supplementary Records)
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Casterton.
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox 1731:
"Casterton, the Lordship and Estate of John Marquis of Dorset, whose sole Heir Margaret carried it into the Family of Edmund of Hadham, Esq. as is said in Bowes".
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD656807 (Lat/Lon: 54.220954, -2.528507), Casterton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Casterton transcribed on Edenlinks.