"CLIBURN; a parish in WEST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Appleby, containing 205 inhabitants. The living is a discharged "rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, rated in the King's books at £9. 1. 5., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. This parish is bounded on two sides by the Eden and the Lyvennet, and the Lethe rivulet flows through it. A small school has been established for the education of the children of parishioners, endowed with an allotment of land by the commissioners under an act of parliament, which produces an income of £21 per annum; the average number of scholars is twenty. A market was held at Gilshauglin, in this parish, in 1598, when the plague raged at Appleby."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
M.I.s for Cliburn were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There is a transcription on EdenLinks
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
A transcript of the 1841 census of Cliburn [HO107/1162] is provided by Virginia Gretton. It includes the following names:
AICHBANK, BAILEY, BAXTER, BIRKET, BROWN, BYERS, CARRICK, CLARKE, CLARKSON, COULSTON, CREIGHTON, DALTON, DAY, DIXON, DOBSON, EDMUNDSON, FERGUSON, FURNESS, HALL, HARRISON, HENDERSON, HINDSON, ION, IRVING, JACKSON, LAYCOCK, LITTLE, LONGSTAFF, McDONELL, McHAFFEY, MAGEE, MALLISON, MOOR, NELSON, NICHOLSON, PEARSON, RAILTON, RAYSON, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, ROBSON, RUDD, SALKALD, SANDERSON, SILL, SIMPSON, SOWERBY, STANLEY, STEPHENSON, STOCKDALE, THOMPSON, WAITING, WATSON, WILLS, WOOFE, WORKMAN, YARKER.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society
and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
Norman nave and chancel. C19th S aisle and windows.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heriage List (English Heritage site).
History and description on Wikipedia.
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR24 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols:
"Cliburn, Cleburn, Cleyburn, seems to derive the name from its situation. Burn is a rivulet or brook. And there is in the soil here a course of clay, which discovers itself in the channel and banks of the rivulet called Leeth, which runs on the west side of the village, and falls into Lyvennet below Cliburn mill. The parish is bounded on the east, south, and west, by the parish of Morland; and on the north, by the parishes of Lowther, Clifton, and Brougham; and contains about 36 families, all of the established church [in 1777]. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. It is a rectory. The church, in proportion to the extent of the parish, is very small. The parsonage house is situate near adjoining the churchyard. It is an old building, but in a pleasant situation, by the side of the Leeth. Belonging to this parish is Winderwath, though intercepted from it by the upper part of Whinfell forest, which is in the parish of Brougham; so as Winderwath is no where contiguous to the rest of the parish."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cliburn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cliburn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Cliburn
The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932) on British History Online
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by T Cox 1731. Transcription by S Reveley, J Fisher and L Schoenwald:
"Clibburn-Talboys, though probably deriving its last Name from Ivo de Talbois, the first Lord of Kendal, whose Possession it was, and whose Posterity assumed the Name of de Lancaster, and from them it passed to the Cliffords through several intermediate Owner's Hands. And Clibburn Herny."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY587268 (Lat/Lon: 54.634328, -2.641515), Cliburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cliburn is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.