"HOLME, a township in that part of the parish of BURTON in KENDAL which is in LONSDALE ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Burton in Kendal, containing 420 inhabitants. The Lancaster and Kendal canal passes through this place. Here are two extensive flax-mills and a linen manufactory. There is a place of worship for Independents."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Holme is a parish in Lonsdale Ward. Before 1812 it was in the parish of Burton in Kendal.
Adjoining parishes are Beetham and Hutton Roof.
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR55 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGIbatch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holme to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Holme has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The name probably derives from O.E. holm 'low flat land by a river, river meadow'.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Holme.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD530792 (Lat/Lon: 54.206441, -2.722431), Holme which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Holme (Burton) transcribed on Edenlinks.