"Staveley and Hugill. . . Having now advanced to the furthest extremity of the parish towards the north-west, we turn southwards to Staveley and Hugill. Staveley and Hugill are bounded on the east by Long Sleddale, being divided therefrom by the ridge of Potter Fell; on the south by Underbarrow, being divided by the top of Ratherhead; on the west by Crook, being divided by the ridge of Brackenthwait Fell; and on the north by Kentmere, being divided by Blackbeck which runs by Milrigg. The chapel of Staveley is a fair building, with a handsome steeple and three good bells. To what saint it was dedicated is not certain: From the inscription on one of the bells, it seems to have been St. Margaret. Staveley and Hugill were originally one chapelry. But afterwards a separate chapel was erected at Ings in Hugill, so called from a long Ing or watery meadow, at the head of which it stands. As Grasgarth there was anciently a chapel called St. Anne's, about a quarter of a mile north-west from the present chapel of Ings."
[The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols.]
Hugill, also known as Ings, is a parish in Kendal Ward. It was formerly part of the very large parish of Kendal.
Nearby parishes are Windermere, Troutbeck, Kentmere, Over Staveley, Crook, Underbarrow and Winster.
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
© A P Kapp
Combined nave and chancel of 1743 with W tower. C19th additions.
This and other photographs are on the Geograph site.
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Church plans from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
Access and contact details on Church of England site.
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR57 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGIbatch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott) or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hugill to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hugill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Hugill.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY452003 (Lat/Lon: 54.394905, -2.845807), Hugill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Hugill transcribed on Edenlinks.