"Descending from Dufton towards the west, we come to the parish of Marton, which was anciently written Merton; and Mr. Machel supposes the same to be so called from a mere or lake at the north end of the town. It is commonly called Long Marton, not from its extraordinary length, as it should seem, (for many other villages in the bottom of Westmorland are longer;) but more likely by way of distinction from some other place of the same name. But of such other there is at present no appearance, unless we suppose Murton and Marton to have had originally the same appellation. It is once, in the bishop's register, called Merton Parva. But there is no judging what these places were formerly, by what they are now; nor yet what they were formerly at different periods. For the Scots made strange alterations often in a very short time. The parish of Marton is bounded on the east by the parish of Dufton, on the south by the parish of St. Michael's Appleby, on the west by the parish of Kirky Thore, and on the north by the parish of Alston in the county of Cumberland: and contains in it three manors or lordships, viz. Marton, Brampton, and Knock; and in the whole about 173 families [in 1777]. The church, according to Dr. Todd, is dedicated to St. Margaret and St. James. -- Perhaps St. James may be the tutelar saint of the church. St. Margaret had a quire there dedicated to her, as appears by the last will and testament of Sir John de Morelaunde. . . It is a rectory. . . The church is situate in the fields of Brampton, at a considerable distance from both Marton and Brampton; for the equal accommodation (as it seemeth) of both the said villages."
[Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols]
M.I.s for Long Marton were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
|St Margaret and St James
The church dates from Norman times in its West tower.
There is also a Norman carving of a dragon in the tympanum of the S doorway.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR44 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Long Marton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Long Marton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox (Vicar of Bromfield, Essex) 45 pages, printed in 1731.
Transcription by Sarah Reveley, Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald.
"Merton, and Mertone, the Lordship of Thomas Holland, Earl of Kent, who dying possessed of it, and leaving Joan his Wife, who had been parted from William de Montacute, Earl of Salisbury, surviving, she had allotted her, as Part of her Dowry, this Manor and divers other Estates. She within a Year married to Edward, Prince of Wales, commonly called the Black Prince, and held it to the ninth Year of King Rich. II. which was twenty one Years from her Husband 's Death; she died that Year, and it passed to her Son Thomas Holland, Earl of Kent; but how, or when he alienated it, it doth not appear; yet four Years after, we find Roger Lord Clifford 4th died possessed of it, and left it to his Son Thomas, and his Heirs, with other Estates. Brampton, the Lordship of Roger Lord Clifford, who died possessed of it"
The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932) on British History Online
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Long Marton
A reprint of the first edition of the one-inch Ordnance Survey of 1854-62 Appleby & Penrith sheet is available from David & Charles.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY665246 (Lat/Lon: 54.615434, -2.520248), Long Marton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Long Marton is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Longmarton transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Brampton (Longmarton) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Knock (Longmarton) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Knock transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Long Marton transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Brampton transcribed on Edenlinks.