"MALLERSTANG, a chapelry in the parish of KIRKBY-STEPHEN, EAST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Kirkby-Stephen, containing 243 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Thanet. The chapel, having fallen to ruin, was repaired in 1663, by the celebrated Countess of Pembroke, who endowed it with lands near Sedbergh in Yorkshire, then worth £ 11 a year, on condition that the curate should teach the children of the dale to read and write, in a room over the west end of the chapel; and in compliance therewith about thirty are instructed. At Castlethwaite are the ruins of a square tower, that formed part of Pendragon castle, . . . The castle was dismantled by the Earl of Thanet in 1681; "
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Mallerstang is a parish in the East Ward adjacent to Yorkshire and Ravenstonedale and Kirkby Stephen.
Until 1721 it was a chapelry of the latter.
No returns survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
|St Mary Outhgill.|
Contains work of C17-20th.
Lady Anne Clifford's work is recorded in an inscription over the South porch.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR78 for information on these and other parish records.
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.
"The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777."Mallerstang... Before the grant of the barony of Westmorland to Robert de Veteripont, the forest of Mallerstang (with the rent) belonged to Sir Hugh de Morvill;... The castle of Mallerstang, called Pendragon castle, is said to have been built about the time of Vortigern, by Uter Pendragon. Who this Uter was may be difficult to ascertain. This Uter Pendragon, tradition reports, in order to fortify this his castle, endeavoured to draw the river Eden round it, but to no purpose; which occasioned this proverb, "Let Uter Pendragon do what he can, Eden will run where Eden ran".
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mallerstang to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mallerstang has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Mallerstang
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY782005 (Lat/Lon: 54.39935, -2.337985), Mallerstang which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)