"MARTINDALE, a chapelry in the parish of BARTON, WEST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 9 miles N. N. E.) from Ambleside, containing 155 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, endowed with £ 800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of John de Whelpdale, Esq. Here is a free school, with an endowment of £ 13 a year, arising from the rent of an estate, left by the relict of the Rev. Richard Birket, a former incumbent."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Until 1748, Martindale was in the parish of Barton.
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008.
Returns survive for Barton itself in the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There are transcriptions on EdenLinks
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Some transcripts usede to be available on Martindale Mart.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
Newer church of 1882 by J A Corey.
This and other photographs are on Geograph site
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
History and description on Wikipedia.
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR92 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.
"Martindale is so denominated probably from another species of beasts of venary, namely the martern, valuable for its fur. This place is separated from Patterdale by an high hill called Boredale. Martindale has a small chapel, about 5 miles distant from the church towards the south-west."
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Martindale to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Martindale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Martindale
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY428167 (Lat/Lon: 54.542437, -2.885934), Martindale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Martindale is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.