Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Milburn
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox (Vicar of Bromfield, Essex) 45 pages, printed in 1731.
Transcription by Sarah Reveley, Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald. (Rootsweb Westmorland Listmembers) (c) 2003
"Milburn, or Milneborn, the Lordship of the aforesaid Lord Clifford 4th, left to his Son Thomas, with other his large Estates, as above mentioned, as was also Murtone another Village, as also
Howgill Castle, situate upon Burnibeck, a small River at a little Distance from the Maiden-way Northward, belonging to the antient Family of Sandfords, who were in their Time of great Repute, for Sir Walter Sandford was Knight of the Shire for this County 15 Edw. II. And Sir Robert de Sandford was Knight of the Shire for this County 16 and 19 Years of King Edw. II. His Son Robert as we suppose, was so acceptable to the Men of this County, that he served for them in Parliament many Times in the Reign of King Edw. III. Viz, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 14, and the 17 and 18 Years of that Reign, and Thomas de Sandford and William de Sandford 20th."
Milburn was originally held by Wetheral Priory. In the time of King John it transferred to the de Stuteville then to the de Veteriponts then to the Cliffords.
The C14th Howgill Castle was owned by the Lord of the Manor Colonel Honeywood who was wounded in the last battle on English soil - the skirmish at Clifton Moor in 1745.