Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Morland

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Morland

Primary tabs

"MORLAND, a parish in WEST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, comprising the chapelries of Bolton and Thrimby, and the townships of Kings-Meaburn, Morland, Newby, Sleagill, Great Strickland, and Little Strickland, and containing 1911 inhabitants, of which number, 372 are in the township of Morland, 6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Appleby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 18., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a large ancient edifice. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, also a meeting-house, with a burial-ground attached, belonging to the Society of Friends. The river Lyvennet through the parish, the northern and western boundaries of which are formed by the river Leeth, and the eastern by the Eden. . . . A free school, erected and partly supported by subscription, has been endowed, by the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, with £ 16 a year and thirty acres of waste land, enclosed before 1800: the master's annual stipend is upwards of £30, for which about forty children are instructed."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]

Separate parishes were created for Thrimby (1741) and Bolton (1745)

topup

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions were transcribed in Westmorland Church Notes by E. Bellasis 1888-89.

topup

Census

Returns survive apart for Sleagill for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There are trancriptions on EdenLinks for

Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.

Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.

topup

Church History

St Laurence.
The oldest tower in the county - C11th Saxon. C12th N and S aisles. N and S Early English transepts with fine lancet windows. Chancel is Perp with 4-light windows. C17th S porch.. C13th coffin and C16th brass to John Blythe.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Church plans (1894-7) from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
This and other photographs is available on Geograph site.
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site


(c) Les Strong


St Barnabas. Great Strickland Chapel.
Church plans (1871-5) from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
St Mary. Little Strickland
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage list (English Heritage site).
This and other photographs is available on Geograph site.
topup

Church Records

Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.

Morland Gt Strickland
WPR96 WPR67
Baptism registers 1538-1917
Marriage registers 1538-1978 1931-1984
Banns registers 1823-1930
Burial registers 1538-1985
Bishops transcripts 1665-1879


See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR96 for information on these and other parish records.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR67 for information on these and other parish records.

For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).

topup

Description and Travel

Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. [Transcribed by Anne Nichols].

"The parish of Morland (Moorland) is bounded on the East by the parishes of Kirkby Thore and St. Michael's Appleby, being separated from them by the River Eden; on the South-east by the parish of St. Laurence Appleby; on the South, by the parish of Crosby Ravensworth; on the South-west, by the parish of Shap; on the West and North-west, by the parishes of Bampton and Lowther; and on the North , by the parish of Cliburn: And contains about 271 families; all of the church of England, 7 only excepted. The church of Morland (according to Dr. Todd) is dedicated to St. Laurence. It is a vicarage. The church at Morland is a fair large building, with two rows of pillars, three in each row; with a tower steeple, and three good bells. Strickland (Stirkland) gave name to the family of Strickland, which continued here for many generations, and afterwards removed to Sizergh. Thrimby is a small village in this parish, consisting only of about six families. There are many places of the name Newby (which means no more than new town); and therefore this, by way of distinction, and from the nature of its situation, is called Newby Stones. Slegill, Sleagill, probably hath its name from sloe trees (vulgarly pronounced slea trees) having grown there. This seems to have been esteemed anciently part of Newby. King's Meaburn, as then belonging toi the crown, was so called by way of distinction from Maud's Meaburn, which belonged to Maud wife of the first Robert de Veteripont... the one was Meaburn Regis, the other Meaburn Matilde. Bolton was variously written in ancient times; as Boelthun, Boeltun, Bovelthun, Botheltun: From all which may be conjectured that it received its name from the owner, Bothel, Bovel, Boel, or the like. Bovel, and Bolt, are names yet in use in Westmorland. [in 1777] Eastward from Bolton, and about a mile and an half west from Appleby, is a pleasant seat belonging to the bishop of Carlisle, called Buley Castle, on the south side of the river Eden, opposite to Crackenthorp, It was formerly controverted, but now agreed to be in Morland parish. "

You can see pictures of Morland which are provided by:

topup

Directories

The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morland to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Morland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox (Vicar of Bromfield, Essex) 45 pages, printed in 1731.
Transcription by Sarah Reveley, Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald. (Rootsweb Westmorland Listmembers) (c) 2003:

"Strickland, the Lordship and Seat of a Family, that took their Name from it, of whom many were in their Generations Men of great Honour and Reputation; but their Name in our Records, is usually written Stirkland. Many of this Family were Knights of the Shire for this County, viz. Robert de Stirkeland 15 Edw. II. Walter de Stirkeland 1 Edw. II. and both of them together 16 Edw. II. John de Stirkland 1 Edw. III. Walter de Stirkland 6 Edw. III. and 17 Edw. III. Thomas de Stirkland 7 Hen. VI. Walter de Stirkland 20 Hen. VI. and John de Stirkeland 12 Edw. IV. And as this Family produced Men serviceable to the Civil State, so it wants not some of Eminency in the Church in their Time, viz.William Strickland, born here in 1396, descended of a good Family in this County, was chosen, by joint Consent of the Chapter, Bishop of Carlisle; but by the Concurrence of the Pope and King Richard II. One Robert Read was put into that See. Dr. Strickland could not but resent the Disappointment, as both unjust and affronting, but bore it with much Moderation. After some Time Read was translated to Chichester, and Thomas Marks succeeded him, but was not long after removed by the Pope to a Grecian Bishoprick; and Strickland being chosen again, was consecrated Bishop of Carlisle in the Year 1400. He sat nineteen Years, and besides other benefactions to his See, he will be ever memorable in the Town of Penrith in Cumberland for this extraordinary Work, viz. He caused a Passage to be cut with great Art, Industry, and Expence, from that Town to the River Petterel, for the Conveyance of Boats into the Irish Sea. He died in the Year of our Lord 1419. and was succeeded by Roger Whelpdale. John Strickland, educated in Queens College, Oxford, after he had taken his Degrees, and entred into Holy Orders, became Chaplain to the Earl of Hertford, and being admitted Bachelor of Divinity in 1632, was presented to the Rectory of Middleton, alias Pudimore Milton, in Somersetshire, by Sir John Horner, Knt. He was always puritanically inclined, and upon the Change of the Church-Government by the House of Commons took the Covenant, and was one of the Assembly of Divines, being then esteemed a Person of Learning and Judgment. He was afterwards Minister of St. Peter le Poor in London, and St. Edmund's in Salisbury, at both which Places he shewed great Zeal for the present Establishment, being in Judgment a Presbyterian. He was ejected in 1662, for Non-conformity, and dying in 1670, was buried in the church of St. Edmund in Salisbury abovesaid, in which Parish he some Years held a Meeting, and preached. Kings-Meburne, the Lordship of Roger Lord Clifford, who being inveigled, or rather forced to join with Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, 13 Edw. II. In his rebellious Attempts, was taken Prisoner by the King's Forces at Burrough-brigg, and beheaded at York. His Estate becoming thus forfeited, the King bestowed this Lordship on Anthony de Lucy, Esq.; for Term of Life. But upon the loyal and dutiful Behavior of his Son and Grandson, both Rogers it seems, this Lordship returned to the Family; for the last of them died possessed of it, with other the forfeited Estates of his Ancestors, 13 Rich. II. Leaving them with his other Lands to Thomas his Son and Heir, who was a great Favourite of King Rich. II. And sat in Parliament 13, 14 and 15th Years of that King's Reign, but died young in the last of those Years."


British History Online provides historical notes for Morland from The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932).

A history of Little Strickland Hall is given on EdenLinks.

Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Morland , Strickland, Great, Strickland, Little, Kings Meaburn and Newby .

topup
topup

Population

1641/2 571(est)
1671 744(est)
1801 1029
topup

Probate Records

Morland is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.

topup