"Old Hutton, New Hutton, and Holme Scales... At first there was only one general name of Hutton. The distinction between Old and New Hutton seems to have come in about the beginning of the reign of king Edward the first [c.1272]. Holme Scales is in the parish of Burton; being, as the name imports, scales or huts belonging to Holme in that parish. But for the sake of vicinity and convenience, Holme Scales hath for a long time been annexed to Old Hutton, and is now deemed part of that township or constablewick."
[Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.]
Old Hutton is a parish in Kendal Ward, formerly in Kendal parish.
It is near the parishes of Old Hutton, Crosscrake,Preston Patrick and Killington.
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR17 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Hutton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Old Hutton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD566887 (Lat/Lon: 54.291768, -2.667811), Old Hutton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Old Hutton (Kendal) transcribed on Edenlinks.