"WITHERSLACK, a chapelry in the parish of BEETHAM, KENDAL ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 7 miles (W.N. W.) from Milnthorpe, containing 477 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed. with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Beetham. The chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was built and endowed, in 1664, by Dr. John Barwick, a native of the place, and Dean of St. Paul's, London" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR22 for information on these and other parish records..
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Witherslack to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Witherslack has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Witherslack
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox (Vicar of Bromfield, Essex) 45 pages, printed in 1731.
Transcription by Sarah Reveley, Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald. (Rootsweb Westmorland Listmembers) (c) 2003
"Witherslack, the native Place of Dr. John Barwick, Fellow of St. John's College in Cambridge,and Chaplain to Dr. Thomas Morton, Bishop of Durham, who made him a Prebendary of that Church. In the late Times of Confusion he was turned out of all, and suffered Imprisonment, yet retaining a courageous Loyalty, and having a strong Persuasion of the Restitution of Monarchy and Episcopacy, he was not a little Instrumental in the new Settlement of them. After King Charles II.'s Return, he was made his Chaplain, took his Doctor of Divinity's Degree, and was preferred first to the Deanery of Durham, and then to that of St. Paul's, which having held four Years, he died, and was buried in St. Paul's Cathedral, under a sumptuous Monument, demolished in 1666, by the great Conflagration of London. He built upon this Manor, a fair parochial Chapel, and endowed it. Dr. Wilkins, Bishop of Chester, dedicated it, and consecrated it to St. Paul. This was a great Piece of Charity, because of the Remoteness of this Village or Hamlet from Betham, the parochial Church."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD449828 (Lat/Lon: 54.237658, -2.846689), Witherslack which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)