"ALLCANNINGS, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles to the E. of Devizes. It contains the chapelry of Etchilhampton and the tythings of Allington and Fullaway, and is situated on the Wiltshire and Berkshire canal. It is near the Avon and Wans-Dyke. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Salisbury, value with the curacy of Etchilhampton, £1,100, in the patronage of Lord Ashburton. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. There is an endowed free school. A fair is held on the downs on the 6th August, for the sale of cattle and horses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This parish includes a hamlet called Allington, which has a Baptist church with registers.
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Transcription of the Census for All Cannings of 1851-1891 by Tina Kirby at Swangen's Genes. She also has some additional records for the people who appear in the census, for example marriage records.
All Cannings Census, 1851-1891 is available.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of All Cannings, All Saints:
Indexes and registers of the church of Allington (by Devizes), Baptist:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from All Cannings to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which All Cannings has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU067629 (Lat/Lon: 51.365227, -1.904797), All Cannings which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)