"ASHTON KEYNES, a parish and township in the hundred of Highworth, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles to the W. of Cricklade, its post town, 3 N. of Minety station on the Cheltenham railway, and 88 from London. It is pleasantly situated on the river Isis, or Thames, not far from the borders of Gloucestershire, and includes the chapelry of Leigh. The river, which flows on one side of the street, is crossed by numerous bridges leading to the several houses, which give the place a picturesque appearance. There are remains of four ancient stone crosses, and part of the monastery surrounded by a moat, and now converted into a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £325, in the patronage of J. Pitt, Esq. The church, an ancient edifice, is dedicated to the Holy Cross. There are also two dissenting chapels. The parochial charities amount to £119, including the endowment of a free school for boys and girls. Ashton Keynes House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ashton Keynes to another place.
Lesley Haigh's family history website (Ashton Keynes section) has information on CUSS, MILLARD, SELBY, TELLING, TOWNSEND and WEAVER families as well as some general information on Ashton Keynes and Leigh.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ashton Keynes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU052940 (Lat/Lon: 51.645074, -1.925698), Ashton Keynes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)