"BISHOP'S CANNINGS, (or Cannings Episcopi), a parish and scattered village in the hundred of Potterne and Cannings, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles to the N.E. of Devizes, its post town, and 24 N. of Salisbury. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal, and includes the chapelries of South Broom and Chittoe, and the tythings of Bourton with Easton, Coate, Horton, and St. James. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £351, in the patronage of the dean and chapter.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious and ancient edifice, in the early English and Norman styles, bearing much resemblance to Salisbury cathedral. From the intersection of the cruciform structure, rises a lofty tower, surmounted by a spire 230 feet from the ground, with turret and parapet. The interior is divided by pointed arches, supported on cylindrical pillars, and the chancel has a groined ceiling and richly painted east windows, representing Christ raising Jairus's daughter. The organ, which cost £400, was presented in 1809, by William Bayley, a native of this village, who accompanied Captain Cook in his circumnavigation of the globe. There is a National school, built in 1830. A large part of the parish was recently purchased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who hold the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Bishops Cannings, St Mary the Virgin:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1591-1928, Mar 1591-1973, Bur 1591-1882
- VRI Chr 1880-1885
- A CD of the printed transcript of registers 1591-1812 is available from Archive CD books (Canada site).
- IGI Chr 1591-1812 Batch P014381, Chr 1813-1885 Batch C014382,
Mar 1591-1812 Batch M014381, Mar 1813-1895 Batch M014382
- White Horse Baptisms 1591-1840
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1591-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bishops Cannings to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bishops Cannings has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Bishops Cannings from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU013638 (Lat/Lon: 51.37329, -1.982088), Bishops Cannings which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)