"BREMHILL, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the N.W. of Calne, and 4 E. from Chippenham, its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the river Avon, and the Great Western railway, and contains the tythings of Foxham, East Tytherton, Bremhill, Studley, &c. The Berkshire and Wilts canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £506, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, stands on an elevated site, commanding an extensive prospect over the surrounding country. It is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, and contains a rood-loft, a stone font, several monumental brasses (the earliest being of the year 1516), and a monument to one of the Hungerford family, who had their seat at Studley. There is an old stone cross in the churchyard.
William Lisle Bowles, the poet, formerly held the vicarage of Bremhill, and died here in 1845. He wrote a history of the parish, which was published about 1828, and contains illustrations of several monuments of ancient times existing in the neighbourhood. The vicarage was then conferred by Bishop Denison on the late Archdeacon of Wilts, the Venerable Henry Drury, M.A., Chaplain to the House of Commons, who died in January, 1863. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The parochial charities consist of the produce of an endowment founded in 1478 by Maud Heath, for the maintenance of an old footpath, now amounting to about £105 per annum. The Roman way, Watling Street, passes through Bremhill, and in the vicinity are the ancient Wandsdyke, and the venerable remains of the temple at Avebury. The Moravians have a settlement near East Tytherton. The old seat of the Hungerfords is now a farmhouse. The Marquis of Lansdowne is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Bremhill (formerly also known as "Brimble"). It included Foxham.
Common to all parishes is a VRI Chr 1850-1906
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bremhill to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bremhill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST980749 (Lat/Lon: 51.47314, -2.030197), Bremhill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)