Chitterne All Saints
"CHILTERN, (or Chittern, All Saints), a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles from Warminster, and 4 E.N.E. of the Heytesbury station, on the Salisbury branch of the Great Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Wiley. The living is a vicarage* united with the curacy of Chiltern St. Mary, in the diocese of Salisbury, value £325, in the patronage of the Bishop and of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury alternately. The church is ancient, and is dedicated to All Saints. There is a small charity which produces about £2 per annum. In the vicinity is Knock camp. Chilterns a meet for the South Wilts hounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Chitterne, All Saints:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chitterne All Saints to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chitterne All Saints has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST997454 (Lat/Lon: 51.20798, -2.005992), Chitterne All Saints which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Population was 382 in 1831, 313 in 1951 (combined population of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St Mary).