"CHITTOE, (or Chitway), a tything in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Devizes, its post town and railway station, and the same distance from Chippenham. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £90, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat modern edifice in the early English style of architecture. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there are National schools for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Chittoe was part of the parish of Bishops Cannings until 1946.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1846-1858
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chittoe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chittoe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST955667 (Lat/Lon: 51.399314, -2.066074), Chittoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)