"DEVIZES, (or The Vies), comprises the parishes of St. John the Baptist, St. Mary the Virgin and part of the parish of Rowde, being a market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, having separate jurisdiction, but locally situated in the hundred of Potterne and Cannings, in the county of Wilts, 23 miles N.W. of Salisbury, 20 E. by S. of Bath, and 88 W. of London by road, or 111 by the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway, which joins the Great Western line at Chippenham. Two branch lines connect Devizes with Bath and Reading. The town, which is situated on the Downs, near the Kennet and Avon canal, is supposed to be of great antiquity. It first rose into importance in the reign of Henry I., when Roger, Bishop of Salisbury, built the spacious and strong castle described by ancient writers as unequalled in Europe for magnificence, extent, and strength."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The Museum of the Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society, at 41 Long Street, Devizes, SN10 1NS has the finest Bronze Age archaeology collection in England with much material from the World Heritage Sites of Avebury and Stonehenge. The history of Wiltshire and the town is shown in displays and the collections are often used as a point of reference in TV programmes. The Museum is open daily throughout the year - more details on the Wiltshire Heritage Library and Museum website.
The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust Museum is on the Wharf overlooking the canal. It tells the tale of the construction, operation, closure and restoration of the canal.
|St Mary, Devizes|
|Devizes Cemetery, Devizes|
|Our Lady of the Immcaulate Conception, Devizes|
|Quaker Meeting House, Devizes|
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the church of Devizes, Particular Baptist:
Indexes and registers of the church of Devizes, Presbyterian:
Indexes and registers of the church of Devizes, St Mary Independent:
(or St Mary's Chapel, Independent)
- IGI Chr 1774-1837 Batch C077741 (RG4 3328, 2591)
Indexes and registers of the church of Devizes, St Mary, Wesleyan or Methodist:
(which was in New Park Street and later (1898) in Long Street)
Devizes Official Website has description, history and photographs.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Devizes to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Devizes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Devizes from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST996608 (Lat/Lon: 51.346536, -2.007837), Devizes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)